Seek a Better Future GET STARTED

In Texas, How Do I Establish I Am the Legal Father of A Child When I'm Not Married to The Mother?

Boyd Family Law May 24, 2023

In Texas, if You Are Not Married to The Mother of A Child, There Are a Few Ways to Establish Legal Paternity:

  1. Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity: If both parents agree on who the biological father is, they can sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity form, which legally establishes the father's paternity. This form can be signed at the hospital when the child is born or later at the child support office.

  2. Court Order: If the mother does not agree on who the biological father is, or if the father is unsure of his paternity, either parent can file a paternity lawsuit in court. The court will order genetic testing to determine paternity, and if the tests confirm that the man is the biological father, the court will issue a court order establishing legal paternity.

Establishing Legal Paternity Is Important for Several Reasons, Including:

  1. The right to custody or visitation with the child;

  2. The right to make decisions about the child's upbringing, such as education and medical care;

  3. The obligation to provide financial support for the child, including child support.

If you have questions or need assistance in establishing legal paternity in Texas, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney who can guide you through the process and help protect your rights and interests as a parent. I can help you understand the legal process, gather evidence, and present your case effectively in court.